Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Bike Path Run

Ryan was up at work today, so Sam and I were on our own. This morning, we visited with my friend Jess and her two little girls for a while, and then after Sam's last nap of the day, we headed out again to enjoy the beautiful (but odd for mid-March) weather! How could we stay inside all day on a day like today? The car thermometer was reading 60 degrees when I turned into the bike path parking lot. Amazing! There were a lot of people with the same idea - the lot was full and there were many people out walking and biking along the river. I loaded Sam into the B.O.B. and headed out.

This is actually the first time I've run alone pushing Sam in the B.O.B. and I was a little nervous about how it was going to go. I mean, I knew we'd be fine out there, but I was unsure how it was going to be to run pushing the stroller. First of all, it was really weird to not be using my arms. And it was tough! With the front wheel locked into place for running, it was difficult to maneuver the stroller through all the people and around the corners on the path. I really had to work it to get it to go where I wanted it to go. But, I wasn't slacking. Ryan had goaded me last night, asking Sam if she thought I would break 50 minutes for the 5 miles, so there was no way I was going to come home with a slow time just because I was pushing the stroller! And with the gorgeous weather, me feeling good, and a little extra incentive, I managed to clip through the miles at 8:30 pace. I definitely had to work to do it, though!

Sam was pretty funny during the ride. She had just woken up from her nap, so she wasn't tired enough to sleep - she just looked around the whole time with her eyes wide, chomping on her plastic links. She seemed content but she didn't smile at me until we had finished, and I took off my sunglasses. Silly girl.

"Mom, where are you taking me?"

Speaking of chomping, she wants to chew on everything these days - nothing is safe, not even the Chime Garden :-)

Yum, plastic flowers!

4 comments:

Jamie Anderson said...

Nice work!!! Won't be long before Sam is stealing bacon off of Ryan's plate.

Scout said...

Can't remember the source, but I read that pushing a running stroller increases your workout 10-30% depending on incline. So those 8:30's are really impressive!

sn0m8n said...

My wife kicks ass!

Sparkplug said...

Thanks guys! And Jamie, yes, Ryan will definitely be feeding Sam bacon at some point :-)