Saturday, February 14, 2009

Rock Solid

No, no, not my abs, although that would be nice :-)

I went for a run in the Commons this morning. Although the temps were in the low 20s, with the roaring wind, it was feeling a bit raw out there! And the trails, which were already pretty packed down, are now rock solid - all the rain the snow absorbed has now frozen and things are pretty firm. This is a good thing, as it made running easier. However, the fact that people walked on the trails when they were soft on Thursday, means the trails are also a bit of a mess, which made running a bit harder. That and the fact that the trails were littered with frozen dog poop. It was a bit like running through a minefield. Seriously people! Just because there is snow on the ground does not mean you don't have to pick up after your dog. YUCK!

Regardless, it was a good run. I end the week with 20 miles. Things seem to be staying in this range mileage-wise, which isn't too bad for the middle of winter, but which does not give me great hope that I will be running the full 4 laps or 50k in the upcoming Trail Monster Fat Ass as I originally contemplated. Of course, running 50k in February was a bit of a stretch anyway, but I had thought about it. Anyway... I think I will plan to do at least 2 laps, which would be 15.75 miles or 25k and which sounds reasonable, given that I haven't run any long runs over 10 miles since the GAC Fat Ass!

2 comments:

mindy said...

Frozen dog poop. Not pleasant. Nice that you still braved the elements and got out there! If you're up for the Banff film fest, let me know, I'm happy to cruise over and pick you up a ticket. We missed you today! Dumbstoopidwork :(

Sparkplug said...

Mindy, I think I'll skip the filmfest this time around but thanks for the offer :-) If I don't see you before then, hopefully I'll see you at the Fat Ass?!