Saturday, February 21, 2009

Bike Path Run with the Garmin

I headed out this morning to run the bikepath. I figured the combination of 12 degree weather and all the mush we've received in the past few days would mean the road shoulders would be a mess. The bikepath is a bit boring, but it's safe. So, I strapped on the heart rate monitor, put the ginormous Garmin on my wrist, and off I went. It was actually a really nice morning out. Not much wind. Sunshine. Mist rising from the open river edge. Snow and ice covered trees. Very pretty. I meandered along, enjoying the morning and the run.

Overall, I was happy with the Garmin. It is big, but the numbers are large enough to read and it was nice to have instant stats while running! And the heart rate monitor felt pretty good. I was concerned that it might rub, but it didn't. Hurray. I know the Garmin will be more useful when we're out running on trails. It wasn't really necessary this morning as the bikepath is marked every 1/4 mile, but hey... had to try out the new toy! I finished the 5.3 mile run in 47:31 (8:56 pace) - how's that for exact?!

Flora and fauna notes: Saw a group of robins, all puffed up against the cold weather, as well as several chickadees, blue jays, mourning doves and one bright red cardinal singing his heart out. On my way to work, I was lucky enough to see a beautiful red fox bounding across Rt. 1 in Woolwich. I slowed up to let him pass by and watched him clear the snowbank on the other side in one single bound. Very graceful creature.

2 comments:

middle.professor said...

The big numbers are useful - especially in a trail run, in the shade, with sweat dripping through the eyes.

Anonymous said...

Garmin is also introducing some significant improvements with this new series, like a predictive technology that provides faster satellite lock.