Saturday, March 29, 2008

Winter Wrap-up

In looking at my exercise log for this winter, I realize I have become one of those people Snowman and I used to comment on... You know, those people who ran through the winter instead of getting out on their skis... We always used to drive by people running on the roads in mid-winter and say, "What are they thinking? Why are they running? Why aren't they out enjoying winter on cross country skis? Or snowshoes? That's what winter is for!"

Well, the numbers this winter prove it. I am now one of "them." I do wish I had gotten in a few more days on my xc skis (and with all the snow up north, I still might!). But I don't have the advantage Snowman does, in that he works and lives a few days a week right at Great Glen, where the beautifully groomed trails are right out the door... Yes, Pineland Farms is close, as is a more backcountry ski experience in the Commons, so I don't have too much of an excuse, but it's not quite the same. The reality is just that this winter seemed more running focused. I can deal with that.

So, what do I consider winter? Well, in this case it is the first three spreads of my 2008 planner, which I use as my exercise journal. This year those spreads run from Sunday, December 30 through Saturday, March 29.

And the numbers are...

Total days exercised: 52
Total hours of exercise: 40.5
Days xc skiing: 15
Days backcountry skiing: 1
Days running: 36
Total miles run: 175.75

When I add it all up, it looks all at once impressive, yet not. I haven't skiied half as many days as Snowman, nor put in as many hours. But I could go on and on about how I could have done more, etc. Of course I could have. Still overall, I'll take what I've got. And build on it.

No comments: