Sunday, March 16, 2008

It's All About the Raffle

Last night was the Nordic Meisters award party and pot-luck dinner. I left the gallery around 3pm, and with better driving conditions that last weekend, managed to make it to Great Glen right at 5:30pm. We had a fun time chatting and enjoying all the yummy creations everyone brings to the pot-luck. Lasagna, carrot ginger soup, cheesecake, pumpkin woopie pies, oh my! Yum. Then it was on to the important part of the evening! As long as you participate in 6 of the 8 weeks, you are entered into the raffle. And the raffle is always good. Skis, boots, clothing, hats, gloves, gift certificates to local businesses. No socks this year, which was upsetting to Snowman, as that is what he always wins... I ended up winning a really nice pair of Sporthill pants, which would have been great for spring running or skiing, but they were a medium, and looked huge. So, the other fun part of the night is the trading. Now, I am not very aggressive by nature, so I am not so good at trading... But I needed to find someone to take my pants! I tried a few options, none of which seemed right, and had almost given up, when I managed to trade the pants for a nice fleece pull-over from Patagonia. A bit long in the sleeves, but should be good to wear around. Sweet! Snowman, by the way, won a Rossignol jacket. Very ski dork :-) Anyway, it was a fun evening, and as always, we enjoyed being a part of Nordic Meisters this year. It is a cool group of people and a great way to get out and enjoy some skiing, oh yeah and a bit of racing if you're into that!

This morning I helped Amy set up the St. Paddy's Day Duathlon (again, volunteered by Snowman) before heading out to ski the course before the race started. It was an overcast morning, slightly balmy with no wind. The course was a good one, and I enjoyed my half hour out on the trails. The snow has definitely transformed, but was still nice skiing. Although there is a lot of snow left, I don't know how many more times I'll get out on my skis, so it was good to do so while I had the chance!

No comments: