Thursday, March 6, 2008

Slippery 4

I needed to be to work extra early today, by 9am. I know, horror of all horrors, having to be at work by 9am. I really am not complaining, I swear! But to do so, I have to be out the door by 8:15 and therefore if I wanted to run, needed to be back at the house ready to shower and eat by 7:45. And since the streets have become dangerous--huge snowbanks combined with no shoulder, plus the ice and frozen slush from yesterday's storm--I figured heading to the bike path would be the best course of action for this early morning run. So up at 6:15 and starting my run at 7:00 on the nose. There were no other cars in the lot, even though it was a beautiful bright sunny morning. Temps had dipped below freezing last night and although the windless 27 degrees felt great, it also had transformed yesterday's rain and slush into some nice ice floes and interesting frosted patterns on the paved path. This made the run a bit interesting, as although I had decent traction in some parts, in others there was black ice and the aforementioned ice floes. But all in all, a great way to start the morning. 4 miles, 34:15.

Flora and fauna highlight of the morning was a beautiful large red tailed hawk sitting quietly on a branch in the sun by the river's edge.

No comments: