Thursday, March 27, 2008

The Blackbirds are Back!

Saw my first pair of red-winged blackbirds in the Woolwich marshes today. They are brave birds, I think, as there is still a fair amount of snow and ice amongst the cat tails. But it is great to see them back! Although fall is truly my favorite season, there is something about spring... I love hearing the birds sing, and it seems that more and more arrive each day. There is the promise of renewal, of baby birds, of greening grass and crocuses and daffodils blooming. We haven't quite reached that last part yet here on the coast of Maine, but when I start to hear the starlings chirping, the cardinal singing, and see the blackbirds back in the marsh, I know those things are just around the corner. And I just can't help but smile.

OK, enough existential babble... Got in a nice 5 mile run on the bike path before work. There was frost on the car windows, but it was a beautiful blue sky day. Great morning to be out. And I felt good too, which was even better.

No comments: