Sunday, October 12, 2014

These Are The Days

I'll be the first to admit that this whole joint birthday party thing is a blessing and a curse, and not knowing if half of the invited 41 kids were going to show up was driving me a bit nuts. Add in grandparents arriving and staying and me wanting things to be in shipshape (or at least clean :)), and I've been a bit of a crazy woman this past week :) (Sorry Ryan!) Luckily, the party was at Anne's house, where they have a big yard, and the grandparents don't care much how clean the house is, as long as they have Sam around. In the end, it was a great day yesterday, but I am glad it is over! I am exhausted. Didn't help that Sam was up late last night and then we stayed up even later to watch 100:Head/Heart/Feet with the parents, but it was fun to share the film with them.

I started out the day with a run at 6:00 am, out in the cold, quiet air, headlamp on as I traversed the powerlines to Highland Green. I ran the cart paths and added the Heath loop in to make it 7 miles. It was an uneventful and calm run, just me and the overcast sky and the crunch of the gravel and leaves beneath my feet. Then it was off to swimming with Sam, Neenie and Pip, while Ryan got in his run and headed over to Anne's to help with set-up. After a yummy Big Top lunch, we all headed over around 1:00. It was cold and raw out. I had on about 5 layers and was still freezing :) Ha!

Luckily, soon after the first kids started arriving, the skies began to clear and the sun came out. It got much warmer and made things much more comfortable for all the adults. I don't think the kids cared at all, they were having too much fun! We had hula hoop decorating (Phil's idea: irrigation tubing), pumpking painting (yes, 30 pumpkins, but only 20 used), apple scavenger hunting around the yard with prizes for smallest, biggest and ugliest (these old orchard apples were pretty ugly!) apples, cake, free play and then finally, mummy making. The party was a big success with little crying, no breakdowns and a lot of happy, laughing kids and parents. It was fun to have a chance to meet some of Sam and Anne's friends, and to have so many adults around to help things go smoothly. Happy birthday, girls! We are so glad you have each other, and so glad that Phil and Kristen are cool parents! Makes life much easier and more fun! :)

Cutie pies

Little angels :) 

Best buds

Wagon ride

I love these two girls. So cute.

Pumpkin painting

Pumpkins!

Mummy wrap!

Wrapping up Anne

Sam the mummy

Sam and Daddy

Mummy fun

Double trouble!

Happy Birthday, Sam and Anne! We love you!

No comments: