Tuesday, October 21, 2014

Glowing

Sam and I spent a good chunk of the day on Sunday over at Ryan's aid station on Lawrence Road during the Big Brad Ultra races. Luckily, the weather was pretty nice, so although it was chilly at times, it was totally doable to be standing around for 5 hours, cheering, catching up with friends, helping make roll-ups, filling up runner's bottles and doing some running and walking up the trail with Sam. We had a great time, and it was really fun to see so many of our friends running strong on the course. Great to see Amy out there volunteering too! Hurray :)

Yesterday, I simply just did not manage to get out of bed so there was no running. 

This morning, I figured I had better get up and out early in the hopes of beating the rain that is supposed to be hanging around for the rest of the week. I headed out at 5:50 am, suited up in my new Inov-8 Ultra 290s. 

They are seriously bright. In fact, the white part of the shoe practically glows in the dark. 

I ran the powerlines to Highland Green Road then turned onto the cart paths. I needed my headlamp until around mile 3 1/2, at which point the sky was just lightening enough to allow me to run without a light, but really only because I was out in the open and the paths were smooth enough that I didn't need to watch my step. The Ultras felt pretty good on my feet although definitely a bit stiffer than my other Inov-8s due to a more cushioned ride. 

I chugged along as the sky grew lighter, and enjoyed the first bit of sunrise from the Mt. A. hill, as streaks of hot pink, similar to the color of my shoes, appeared low along the horizon. 

No comments: