Sunday, November 24, 2013

Snow

We woke up to snow this morning. Sure wasn't expecting that! About an 1" on the ground around here, with the wind howling and the temps down in the low 20s. Brr. Guess winter wants to let us know it's on its way ;) Sam was so excited to see the snow that she wanted to go out right away. I convinced her to wait a few hours - I think we went out around 8:30 am - yup, we were up early! We got all suited up in our ski pants and snow boots and tromped around out back in the snow, enjoying the crunch of the dry snow beneath our feet, looking at our footprints, and of course, tasting the snow :-)  After all that, we didn't last long - it was pretty chilly with the wind! We did head out a second time after lunch again, taking a walk along the thin trail that lines the fence. We saw lots of bird prints, plus some cat prints and one other set of prints - possibly a raccoon? It was still pretty darn cold out, but I was happy to get suited up and go out - I certainly never want to dissaude Sam of any outdoor adventures!

First snow of the season, and it tastes good :)

Once we came back in, I suited up for my own outdoor adventure and drove over to the Cathance ecology center parking area for a run. I wasn't planning to run today but I just couldn't resist getting out on the trails in the snow! There had been some traffic on the trails before me, and I saw one other person out enjoying the snow-covered trails. Always glad to see other people out and about! The going was slow - an inch of fluffy, dry snow atop a thick layer of downed leaves makes things pretty slick, that's for sure! - but the woods were beautiful and quiet, aside from the howling wind. Got in 3.75 miles and headed home. A nice first snow run for the season!


No comments: