Thursday, September 1, 2011

Today's Speedwork Brought To You By Guilt

I've always considered myself a morning runner, but I have not been very successful recently at getting up before Sam wakes to get my running in this summer. And now that the days are noticeably shorter, I don't have the daylight on the other end to run after Sam is asleep. So, this morning, I did what I strive not to do. I ran after Sam woke up and before I dropped her off at daycare. She was not happy to have me leave. She was crying and reaching out to me as I walked out the door. Not ideal. I felt pretty guilty to be putting my running above my time with her. I know she was fine after I left, but I still felt badly about it. So, since all I could think about was getting my run done so I could get back and at least play with her for 10 minutes before we headed to daycare, I figured, what the heck? I was planning to do the Highland Green loop anyway, let's do speedwork! Given that I didn't go into this run thinking about speed at all, and only decided once I was out there, I'm pretty pleased with how it went. The middle three miles ended up being 7:37, 7:19 and 7:14, and while I was definitely working, I was surprised at how decent I felt out there. At least I managed to get something good out of the guilt I was feeling this morning!

3 comments:

Scout said...

I'd like to say that mommy-guilt goes away. Some of it does, but it always seems like there's something we should have done or done better. Oh well, at least you made the most of it : )

Sparkplug said...

Val, I never thought I'd feel so guilty for something like going for a morning run!! Aie. Ah, motherhood. It certainly is an adventure!

N.D. said...

ugh I would have a hard time with that too. You needed it though!