Thursday, December 23, 2010

Tromping Through the Snow

The snow that started yesterday never stopped falling last night, and this morning, we awoke to a winter wonderland. The wet snow stuck in that pretty way to the tree branches, coating the evergreens and bushes, and created a nice white peak on the bird feeder out back. The day is to full of packing, cooking and traveling south, so I had already decided to head out early this morning for a short run before things got kicked into gear.

As I was running out to the powerlines, I realized that in years past I might have donned my beater xc skis and gone out for a little ski instead of donning my shoes and heading out for a run. And while I do love skiing, I was happy with my decision to be out running on a snowy morning, my screw shoes clicking and gripping on the packed snow and through the slush on the roads. I am sure I'll get out on my skis this winter, but with the 50k just a few months away, I need all the running I can get :-)

I veered off the high school road into the 4" of fresh snow along the powerlines. I smiled as I kicked up the snow. First tracks! Well, aside from the deer and squirrel and possibly a fox? What? No one else was out playing in the snow?! :-) When I got to Highland Green Road, I actually stuck to the snow covered sidewalks instead of taking to the slick roads. There was a lot more grip in the fresh snow, and although it was more of a workout, it certainly was more fun! I made my way back through the woods and home. Definitely a nice way to start a snow day!

No comments: