Sunday, December 12, 2010

Cathance Nine

Despite the ominous forecast, we awoke to nothing more than overcast skies this morning. Sam and I played for a while and had breakfast together before Ryan took over and I donned my running clothes and headed out the door for a run. I had made all sorts of alternate plans thinking the weather would be really crappy, but as it turned out, I was able to get in my planned 9 miles without feeling more than a few sprinkles partway through the run.

With the slate grey skies and the December browns not yet completely covered by fresh white snow, things were a bit dreary feeling and looking in the woods, but it was a nice run nonetheless. I had the trails all to myself. The woods were quiet, with the crunch of the leaves and snow beneath my feet, my breath in the air and the gurgling of the river the only sounds I heard all morning. I was a bit slow in parts, as I'm a wimp on ice, and with the fine coating of snow in spots, and the partially frozen hoar jumping up to catch my feet, things were a bit tricky. I was rewarded in the last few steps of the run with a glimpse of the sun through the clouds, but it's raining as I type, and poor Ryan is out getting his run in over at Bradbury. Yuck! Glad I took the early shift. (Sorry Ryan!)

In other running news, I booked our flights to North Carolina for March, so Gator Trail 50k, here we come! Guess I had better get cracking with my training :-)

As for Sam, she's still been having a rough go of it during the past few nights, but otherwise, she is happy and energetic as ever. In fact, she might be getting a little devilish :-) When I picked her up at daycare on Friday evening, her teacher said, "We were just discussing what a cute innocent little instigator Samantha is." Or as the other teacher said, "you know, she has this invisible little halo above her head. Such a good girl. But really, that halo is being held up by cute little horns!" Don't worry, they still love her, but I think we have a little troublemaker on our hands!! I guess she went up to one of the younger kids, who was in one of the exersaucers, and pulled her pacifier out of her mouth. And it's not like she's a pacifier kid! Never has been. No, she just decided she had to have it, and then she stood there, grinning and dancing in front of the poor little one, with the paci held in her mouth by the ring side. Oh man! :-)

No comments: