Monday, November 29, 2010

Sick

Poor Sam. As a daycare baby, she has a runny nose almost constantly. She's had hand-foot-mouth twice. A double ear infection needing two rounds of antibiotics. Lots of colds. I'm sure we'll go through our share of other infections this winter too. And while she is amazingly happy even when sick, this weekend it seemed like something was definitely up. Her cough was deep and sounded painful. Her breathing sounded raspy, wheezy. She was crying more often in her sleep and after coughing. Yesterday, she was extra clingy, constantly reaching for 'mama.' So, this morning, despite thinking they would probably end up telling me she had yet another cold, I made a doctor's appointment, just to be safe. And boy, am I glad I did!

Turns out Sam has another double ear infection, and some sort of bronchial virus/infection. The doctor was surprised at how smiley she was during the visit in spite of it all. We did have a bit of screaming when we had to hold her still for 10 minutes while giving her a nebulizer, and then when we had to hold her down so they could do a nose swab to check for RSV, but who can blame her for that? Luckily, the nose swab test came back negative, so that was good at least. So, now we have an inhaler for her, and she's on antibiotics for the ear infections. I really never would have thought she was so sick! I knew she wasn't quite herself, but I didn't suspect the ear infections at all. We are really lucky she is such a happy baby, especially when sick!

*As an aside, we did get to have her weighed, and she's up to 19 lbs 3 oz. Getting big!*

After the doctor's appointment, we came home and I put her down for a nap. I had lots of plans for my 'naptime' time, but they sort of went out the window after the visit to the doctor. So, instead, I put on my running shoes and headed out on the powerlines for a short 3 mile run to clear my head. The powerlines were a mix of hard, packed frozen sand, hore frost, a bit of icy snow, ice, soft sand and mud, meaning it wasn't the fastest run, but it was nice to be out in the sun on the trails on a crisp late November day. It is definitely feeling like winter is just around the corner!

1 comment:

Scout said...

Poor Sam : ( I hope she feels better fast!