Friday, November 5, 2010

Wet

Lots of rain yesterday, and it hasn't stopped yet, although this morning it has been more like a constant light mist. It's the sort of day that makes you want to curl up on the couch with a cup of coffee and a good book. Or perhaps go for a run? :-)

I decided to just take the day off from work so that I could get organized, get a quick run in, pick up my dad at the Portland airport, and get to Ryan's parent's house for Sam's dinnertime. Things are a bit more complicated when there is a 1 year old involved, and I really didn't want to get there too late and mess up the nightime routine too much, so taking the day off seemed the best option. Besides, who doesn't like an extra day off??

After I put Sam down for her morning nap, I headed out for a quick run to get the blood flowing and loosen up the legs. It's pretty dreary out there, with a light mist coming down and low clouds hanging over the powerlines. I decided to just do a 2-mile run out-and-back on the powerlines, which meant that right before the turn-around I had to run through a big puddle. Brrrrrr, that puddle was cold! But it was sort of fun :-) After all, in 9 minutes I was back inside the warm and cozy house!

Now, all my bags are packed, I've gone through my running gear a few times, I've crossed things off multiple lists and Sam is still sleeping. It's nice to have a chance to relax a bit and think about the race tomorrow. I can hardly believe it is here! I feel like I have the potential to have a really solid fast race. My plan is to be conservatively aggressive, if that makes any sense :-), and go out at a slow pace (I actually think the pile-up of runners going into the single track will help in this regard, even if it is bound to be frustrating). Then assuming things feel good, I will pick it up on the second loop and give it all I've got. That being said, I know I  have to respect the distance, especially since I haven't put in a lot of mileage over the past few months, and still have a tight IT band. I'm not trying to make excuses, I'm just trying to be realistic. I am nervous but excited, and am really looking forward to being out on the course with so many of my Trail Monster friends! And to having my dad there to cheer me on! (Ryan's parents and Sam may or may not come over, depending on the weather and her nap schedule.) Ready or not, Stonecat, here I come!

1 comment:

pathfinder said...

Good luck and have fun.... I know you will