Saturday, November 13, 2010

Oh Shoot!

As Coach Slovenski used to say, "Ooooohhh shoot!" (Those on the xc/track teams can imagine the correct inflection here, as well :-) ) Things did not quite go as planned this morning. I did indeed head out for a run. It was a gorgeous, crisp and sunny morning. But right away, I could tell things were still really tight. I ran a 1/4 mile and then walked the rest of the short loop around Mt. Ararat high school. Not what I had envisioned, but I guess I'm not totally surprised. I did ask a lot of my body last Saturday. A race effort is always a lot to ask and tends to hurt at least a bit, but as I didn't have a lot of training to pull from (I think I put in only 2 weeks over 30 miles in the three months before Stonecat), I was really asking a lot! I just decided I didn't want my legs to stop, and pushed until it was over. Goes to show that mind over matter can work, but now my legs are having their say :-)

So, another week of rest for me. But not total rest. I think getting the blood flowing and the muscles moving will be a good thing, and besides I'll go crazy if I sit around doing nothing for another week, so I'll plan to walk where I had hoped to run. I'll also add back in my core and strengthening exercises, and sit-ups/push-ups, which I slacked on while sick and during this last week. It will be something anyway! I also think I'm going to beg and plead with my friend Shannon to give me a massage this week too.

And just for laughs, here are a few pictures of what I came home to last night:

Mini Plake
Yes, that is a mohawk. On my child. The ladies at daycare must have been bored today!

Rockin' the mohawk.

Nice hair, dude

Sweet do!
Hopefully she does not get used to this hairstyle, as being a minimalist (or just plain lazy) in the hair department, I do not have any hair gel or hairspray in the cabinets :-)

2 comments:

Scout said...

Wow! I don't think I had any weeks less than 30 miles (except the last week of taper). That's amazing!!! Your limbs deserve a rest : )

Sparkplug said...

Valerie, ha! I have always been a pretty low mileage runner, even more so now that I have Sam and have less time, but this time around it was a bit to the extreme :-) And I can't believe you only had one week of less than 30 miles. You are amazing!!!