Thursday, July 8, 2010

Lilies Galore


Wood lily (photo taken on the AT in 2005)

I was up to feed Sam at 3:30 this morning, so I figured that should mean she would (although nothing is guaranteed when it comes to her and sleep!) sleep through until at least 6:30. In the end she didn't wake up until 7:10! Hurray for extra morning time :-) But just in case, I was up and out the door at 5:20 for my run this morning. The skies were overcast and moody looking - I kept waiting for the heavens to open up on me as I ran along but they never did. Temps were in the low 70s and with the breeze blowing, it was relatively comfortable out, although muggy. I ran the powerlines out to the church, which I haven't done in a while, and had a nice run.

Saw plenty of catbirds, a few goldfinch, sparrows and robins, and heard the towhees and phoebes but didn't see them. With all the summer greenery, it is much harder at this time of year to actually spot the birds out there! I made one quick stop to eat a few ripe raspberries at the edge of the trail, but otherwise kept moving. The deer flies weren't bad, but I didn't want to give them the chance to catch up with me :-)

However, the highlight of the run was the multitude of wood lilies that I saw near the end of the powerlines. Wow! On this grey morning, their deep orange flowers really stood out in the grassy expanses along the trail. I have never seen so many of them like this. How wonderful!

1 comment:

Scout said...

Running is its own reward, but it's so nice to get the extra bonuses that the trails offer. I love your flora and fauna coverage!