Monday, July 19, 2010

Hot and Humid

OK, so it's summer. I realize it is supposed to be hot. But man, usually we will get a break in the heat at some point after a spell of warm weather, and so far, it hasn't happened yet this year! Not to mention the humidity. And the deer flies. Give me winter! I am dreaming of snow. In fact, on my run today as my face felt like it was burning up, I would have given almost anything to jump in a nice fluffy snowbank! I know we tend to think the grass is always greener. In winter it's too cold. In summer it's too hot. Yup, us humans are a complaining bunch. Or at least I am, when it comes to the weather :-) But anyway... onto the running.

Yesterday, I got up and out early for a 3 miler before we headed south to spend the day with Ryan's parents and grandparents. I stopped along the Highland Green Road to pick some of the wonderfully sweet ripe raspberries, and could have stayed there all day. Yum! Other than that, the run was uneventful, and it was nice to have gotten out at the start of the day. We had a nice visit with the family, and Sam entertained us all afternoon with her antics :-)


Four generations

We were a tired bunch by the time we got home, and were all in bed pretty early. Unfortunately Sam was up a number of times last night, but at least she slept in a bit until 7:15. Ahhh... The only downside was that the late wake-up meant that her nap was later, so I didn't get out the door for my run until after 10am. By which point, it was hot. And, you guessed, it, humid! Luckily, there was some breeze to be had, which saved me. Otherwise, I think I might have melted out there. The plan was to run 10 to 12 miles, so I headed out on the powerlines to run the Homeplace loop, and then to the Mt. Ararat trails to connect up with the Cathance trails. I was tempted to bail when I got back to Mt. Ararat - I was just so hot already - but I told myself to just keep going and see how it was once I got into the woods. With a bit of shade, and the breeze, I felt a bit better, but I certainly wasn't feeling all that peppy. While I was running, I kept thinking of Ryan mentioning that Valerie refuses to run a fall marathon, just so she doesn't have to train long through the height of the summer heat. Smart lady! But the training has to be done, and I was happy to finish with what seemed a respectable 1:44:22 for my 11.0miles. And who knows, maybe it won't be quite so hot for the next long run? We can dream, can't we.... :-)

4 comments:

Scout said...

Way to tough it out, Danielle! I ran 3 fall marathons before I was cured : )
And I have to admit, I was almost thinking of doing Stone Cat next year...

Sparkplug said...

You should, you should! :-) I'm shooting for the marathon there this year, so yup, that's why I'm out there!

Scout said...

Oh, cool! For some reason I thought you were training for MDI.

Sparkplug said...

I thought about MDI, but it filled up too fast for me to make my decision... Besides, right now running on the trails is more fun, so I figured Stonecat would work!