Sunday, July 25, 2010

Beautiful Sunday

Sam had a bit of a rough night last night. I don't know if it's finally teething or that she has picked up another cold at daycare, but she is stuffed up and kept waking up crying. She didn't even really want to eat, she was just unhappy. Poor baby. I had hoped she might sleep in to make up for the extra night wakings, but no such luck. So, at 5:45, we were up and downstairs playing. Luckily, once she got up she was happy! She is moving around like crazy - no, not crawling - but rolling, spinning, pivoting, making circles. She can get almost anywhere she wants to go with this, but I know she's trying to crawl. She gets up on all fours and sort of shimmies forward an inch or two before falling back on her tummy. She just doesn't appear to have put all the pieces together and realized she needs to move her arms too! Oh well. She'll get it...eventually :-)

Since she was up so early, she went down for a nap around 8:00. I scrambled around, getting myself organized and out the door for my run, and finally left at 8:30. After the rain last night, it was a bit cooler out, but still humid. It was warm in the sun on the powerlines, but felt nice and cool in the shade of the trees and down by the river along the Cathance trails. I did almost the same "loop" as last week's long run, but added another mile on the powerlines before heading back to the Cathance trails. There were a lot of puddles in the ruts along the powerlines, and there was just no way to avoid them all, so I splashed right through. My feet were soaked by mile #1, and stayed that way for the rest of the run. Unlike last week, I was feeling pretty good from the start. Tired, yes, but solid. I kept up a good pace for the first 7.5 miles, but things slowed down once I got on the twisty turny Cathance trails. All the rocks and roots were slippery, and there was a fair amount of water to run through. The grassy sections seemed even more overgrown, as all the tall grasses were leaning into the trail after the heavy rains. I scared a little frog off one of the bridges over an overflow stream along the river, and caught sight of my Towhee friends, as well as a Cardinal and a pair of Goldfinch sitting on a goldenrod branch. The river was chocolate-brown, and someone at some point must have lost contact with their raft while playing in the currents, as I came upon a big yellow and blue inflatable raft up on the side of the trail near the rapids. A funny sight in the woods :-) The run felt good, and I had the trails all to myself on a beautiful morning. I got in 12.1 miles in 1:54:14, and came home sweaty, mud splattered and happy.

After a quick shower, we headed down to Freeport to meet up with Kristen and Morgan for lunch and a walk on the trails at Wolfe's Neck State Park. We sat at one of the picnic tables under the Pavilion and ate, then hit the trails, wandering through the woods and down along the rocks. We spotted two osprey, and lots of mushrooms in the woods. Sam chatted the whole way, and Morgan did a good job running up and down the trail and splashing in the puddles! Lots of fun :-)

Loving her sippy cup!

Kristen and Morgan on the rocks

On the trail

I love this backpack!


Osprey on the nest!

Morgan wanders the shoreline


Good form!

2 comments:

Jamie Anderson said...

Nice job on the run! Awww man, Ryan shaved the 'stache.

Sparkplug said...

I knew someone would be sad the 'stache was gone :-)