Sunday, April 25, 2010

Full Day

I'm going to be really sad when my parents leave for home tomorrow - it has been so much fun having them around these past few weeks, and so nice to have them around to help out with Sam, and allow us to juggle our long runs too! This morning, they once again happily agreed to come over and watch Sam so that I could get my run in while Ryan was off running the Mud, Muck & Moose. If they hadn't been around, I don't think I could have swung it, seeing as Ryan got home at 4:30, so thanks again guys!

Sam decided it would be fun to be wide awake at 5am - I don't know what was up with that, especially given that Ryan had installed room-darkening shades in her room yesterday to try and combat things like this! - but eventually went back to sleep around 6:15 for another hour, so I was able to snooze a bit too. But there was no way that was going to be her morning nap, so down she went at 8:40, without much of a fight, so apparently she was still tired. My parents came over a bit later, and I headed out for my run at 9:30, with Sam still sleeping. It was a gorgeous morning - a slight breeze, comfortable temperatures, bright and sunny - perfect for a long run! My plan was similar to the 16-miler I ran on Easter morning - hit the powerlines and the Cathance trails. But this time, the golf course was open, so the cart paths were out. I'd have to figure out another way to add on a few extra miles, but decided to just do that on the fly.

I ran the powerlines first, with the slight addition that Ryan had told me about last week. Of course, when he told me the directions, I wasn't really listening :-) but I remembered he had said it wasn't that long of an add-on, so I figured I would try it. I am more of a visual learner, so listening to him spout off 'turn this way' and 'turn that way' is like saying 'blah blah blah' in my ear. Ah well. It turns out I must have heard more of the directions than I thought, as I easily found the additional trails. Fun!

Then I meandered through the Mt. Ararat trails to Highland Green, where I decided to run the road loop before heading into the woods. The trails were much drier this time around, with the river calm and flat. I ran into a few other people out there enjoying the gorgeous weather as I wound my way through the trail system. I was feeling pretty good throughout, but admit to dragging a bit in the last two miles. I had run out of HEED and Gatorade, and had eaten all my trail treats. Ah well. Lesson learned. More fuel needed :-) Regardless, I was happy to finish up the 15 miles in 2:24 for 9:37 pace, and even happier to hear that Sam had taken a two-hour nap while I was out! Wow! I was made happier still to learn we were going to meet Mim, Susie and Lillie at Wild Oats for lunch. Yum!

After a fun lunch, sitting outside in the sun, with Sam entertaining us all, Mom, Dad and I took Sam for a walk in the B.O.B. through town and around Bowdoin's campus in an attempt to get her an afternoon nap. She finally fell asleep 15 minutes into the walk, so we just kept walking. The day got even better when Mom and I stopped and stood in line at Cote's for ice cream while Dad kept the stroller moving - yum again! - but the additional hour on my feet walking in the sun and standing in line definitely tired me out!

All told, it was a great day - a good run, good family time, a yummy lunch and ice cream! Can't beat it! And Ryan came in 4th in the Mud, Muck & Moose, so he had a fun day too :-)

Flora and fauna notes: I scared up two deer along the seasonal pond by Topsham Crossing; heard a Towhee but didn't see it; watched a Cormorant fly low over the Cathance River; and truly enjoyed seeing all the spring wildflowers along the powerlines and in the woods - saw some big patches of rue anemone, bluets, starflower, a few Bluebead Lilies beginning to blossom and wild oats to name a few.