Thursday, April 1, 2010

Daycare: Day #1

I didn't get a run in this morning. I had fully intended to, but even though I went to bed early last night I couldn't sleep. And I was woken up at 11:00, 1:00 and 3:00. Then, at 6:00, I heard Sam cooing and babbling over the monitor. She seemed content, so I lay there for a while, hoping that she might go back to sleep. No such luck. She was smiling and bouncing her legs up and down when I went in to get her at 6:15. Doesn't she know sleep is a good thing?! But at least she woke up happy! I, on the other hand, was feeling a bit off. Still sniffly and congested, I was tired, not to mention sort of annoyed at myself for not getting up and out the door for a run despite the former. Plus, I was feeling anxious and a bit sad, as this morning was Sam's first day of daycare. I've been super lucky to have her with me for almost 6 months, but the reality is that it's time for me to go back to work full-time, and so, off to daycare she must go.

Ryan nicely came with me to drop her off this morning for moral support and to make sure I didn't cry when we left :-) Of course, Sam settled right in with the teachers and other kiddos and didn't miss a beat. She didn't even look up when I kissed her goodbye... so much for being needed! :-) I just hoped she would manage to eat and sleep while she was there. I wasn't feeling too optimistic about either, as yesterday during her 'playdate' she only ate 0.5 oz. (yup, you read that right, not even an ounce). And she is such an active child, I thought she might just be so excited about her new surroundings that she wouldn't sleep. So, needless to say, when I called to check in at noon, I was extra excited to hear that she had eaten and was in the middle of a nap!! Yeah Samantha! That made me feel so much better, and I was able to relax a bit for the rest of the workday.

Ryan was working from home, so he picked her up a little before 5pm, and he called to say that the teachers said she did great, and you wouldn't have known it was her first day of daycare the way she ate and slept and settled in. What an adaptable child we have :-) I knew she would be fine, but I couldn't help but worry. Hopefully it will go the same way tomorrow! And hopefully we'll all be able to get into a good routine, and I can figure out how to fit my running in too!


3 comments:

mindy said...

Oh, what day! I'm glad you made it through (and Samantha). I can only imagine how rough that first day was for you with anticipation of how things would go. Sounds like she was a champ (she needs that "my first bacon" to bring to daycare though...). Things will come around for your running too - you're so dedicated, it will find it's place in your day.

pathfinder said...

That first day must have been tough.....I don't think my wife would have faired so well, luckily she didn't have to work until the youngest was 5 years old, so day care was not an issue for her....but you should have seen her when the first went to college and even worse when the youngest left.....of she had to work when the youngest was five because bringing 4 kids cost a lot of money....and by the way, the spending never stops...I just bought a trail monster singlet for my new grandchild..due in September.

Sparkplug said...

Thanks for the words of support, guys :-) It was a bit of a rough day for me, but Sam really did great and I was just so happy to see her be happy when I got home last night. I know we'll settle into a routine and it will all be fine! Even managed to get a run in this morning before I dropped her off - too nice not too!
Kevin, yes, I do imagine that 4 kids is expensive - yikes! One is expensive enough for us as it is :-) So glad you bought a TMR singlet for the newest grandchild. How is your daughter doing with the pregnancy and keeping active, anyway?! Hope all is well!