Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Evening Jaunt

I managed to sneak a quick 3 miler in yesterday morning, but this morning, not so much. Sam appears to be a morning person like me, and has recently taken to getting up at 6:30 am. This is not a problem, it just means I really have to get up and go early if I'm going to run and not interfere with our limited morning time together. And although I am a morning person, I have not yet had the energy to get up and out the door at 5:30am despite my good intentions. I was not happy about not getting my run in this morning, but as I sat at work, looking outside at the beautiful weather, I had a revelation. I could get a short run in after we put Sam to bed tonight! Sure, evening isn't my preferred time to run, and part of me feels like these short 3 milers are a bit like junk miles given that I'm training for a 50k race, but 3 miles in the evening would be better than nothing. I floated the idea to Ryan, and he was all for it. Problem solved (at least for today!).

Sam was asleep by 6:50pm. We wish she would stay up a bit later and therefore maybe sleep in a bit later in the morning, but today she didn't go down for a late afternoon nap, so she'd been up since 1:20pm. That is a long time for a little 6 month old to be up, and although cheery, she was clearly tired. She was asleep before her head hit the crib sheet! After a few minutes of watching her asleep in the crib, I put on my running clothes and my new pair of Inov-8s, and snuck out. It was a gorgeous evening. The air was warm, the birds were chirping, my shadow was long before me as I ran along the powerlines in the soft evening light and all around me the trees, grass and shrubs were sporting their early spring colors. My shoes, which I typically wouldn't call cushiony, felt great - nice and cushy beneath my feet - I guess the insoles of my last pair were pretty packed out after 300+ miles. Overall, a very enjoyable evening run!

6 comments:

Scout said...

I love evening runs. If I run in the morning, I miss looking forward to it.

Junk miles, maybe, but good for the sanity : )

pathfinder said...

I don't think any mile run is a junk mile...

Sparkplug said...

Thanks guys! Yes, any mile is a good mile, isn't it?!

sn0m8n said...

Sanity? That's funny.

middle.professor said...

If you read Bernd Heinrich's (fellow Mainah, although he defected to Vermont for a job) "Why We Run", which is part autobiography of an ultrarunner, part physiology of running, part natural history of running, in addition to his regular runs, he trained by just never walking. He would intentionally park his car at the far end of the lot and run into his work building, things like that. So no, three miles is not a major component of an ultra training plan but running 3 miles is better than not running 3 miles.

Scout said...

Jeff, glad you commented. Chris had told me I needed to read that book, but I'd since forgotten. His training reminds me of what my Ryan does. Wherever he goes on campus and off, for that matter, he runs. Probably why he could run 150 laps for Relay for Life "without" training.