Thursday, December 31, 2009

2009: A Year of Change

I'm a big fan of lists, of schedules, of training logs. But this year's numbers don't tell the whole story. If you were to just look at my numbers from this year's training log, you would think it was a pretty mediocre year. You would see a lot of zero days. A lot of slow running. And not a lot of miles. But the fact is that no matter what the numbers say this year, it was a great one.

Why? Because on October 9th at 9:16am, little Sam came into our life.


So tiny!

I am one lucky lady to have given birth to Samantha and to have such a happy little girl as my daughter. I am even luckier to have such a supportive and loving husband, and such wonderful family and friends, to share her with. I am lucky to have been healthy through my pregnancy and to have kept up my running, albeit very slowly, through week 36. And I am lucky to have recovered quickly and well, and to be back running.

Would I love to have run more miles this year? You betcha. But, I am proud of each of the miles I did run and I wouldn't trade Samantha for a million miles more. Yes, being a parent is hard. It is tiring. It is challenging. It has brought me to tears on occasion and made me want to scream on others. It has been an adjustment after 10 years of it being just Ryan and I, and being able to go out the door at a moment's notice to do whatever we wanted. But when Sam smiles up at me or Ryan, and recognizes us from across the room, my heart just melts. What's not to love and be happy about? Change is hard. Change is good. Life is no longer the same. But that is not a bad thing :-)


Smile!

As we move forward into 2010, I'm looking forward to continuing to watch Samantha grow and change, and I hope for a year filled with joy, laughter, happiness and lots of adventures, both on trail and off! I wish the same for all my family and friends out there in the wide wide world. Happy New Year everyone!

---

I capped off the year with a 5 mile run earlier this afternoon just as the snow was starting to fall, which brought my 2009 numbers to the following:

Total Miles Run: 675.5
Total Miles Walked: 71.75
Total Miles Hiked: 32.8
Total Ski Days: 10 (9 days cross country and 1 day backcountry skiing)

---

And since this blog is my baby book for Samantha, I feel I should note that she rolled over again yesterday morning. Upon witnessing the roll, Ryan said, " That wasn't as exciting as I thought it would be." :-)

No comments: