Sunday, March 15, 2009

Simpon's Point and Exercises

Back in 2005, after we got off the trail, I started running again right away, and developed some back and piriformis muscle pain. This was nothing that a little bit of PT and some good core exercises didn't cure. Unfortunately, I have been slacking off in doing those core exercises and it has come back to haunt me. My back has been sore again the past few days. Definitely feeling better today, after lots of stretching and some exercises, but I decided I didn't want to push it this morning with my run. That being said, I sent Snowman off to join up with the TMR gang for a long trail run at Bradbury, and I hit the roads. I figured a more even surface versus the undoubtedly uneven and softening snow on the snowmobile trails was probably the best option.

While I was sad to miss out on the chance to hang out and run with friends, I had a great run this morning. I felt good. It was gorgeous out. The roads were quiet. The sun was warm and there was no wind. Down at Simpson's Point the bay was opening up, with a few small ice floes floating on the shimmering waters. Ahhhh.... can't beat it.

Flora and fauna notes: The Pennelville fields are beginning to lose their snow as are patches near the pine trees along the roadsides. While nothing is budding yet, it feels like spring is really coming our way on a day like today! The birds apparently think so too. I saw four cardinals, as well as several chickadees, blue jays and my first red winged blackbird of the season. Funnily enough, he was perched up high on a pine tree next to a marshy spot, singing his heart out (perhaps trying to attract a mate?). Back at home, Ronnie was the first to spot a tiny little red breasted nuthatch that was creeping along our back fence.

2 comments:

middle.professor said...

Trails v. Roads, trails v. roads - what a debate you could start with that one!. But I agree; the last winter that I ran (05/06), I remember having lots of little muscle sorenesses here and there from constantly stabilizing my body against slipping (didn't have screw shoes then - actually, I still don't). I'm happy to do without that constant soreness (of course I guess I'm trading one for another as I now have a major soreness in my right latissimus dorsi from over poling on Saturday).

Sparkplug said...

I know... Roads are bad. Trails are good. But seriously, in this case I was happy to have an even surface!
Hope you're feeling better from all the double poling :-)