Friday, March 13, 2009

I Am So Over You, Winter!

I know it is bad form for a skier, and the wife of someone who works in the ski industry, to say she is over winter. I do love winter. I wouldn't want to live anywhere else but New England, where we have four seasons (or maybe five, if you count "Mud") and where I can get out on my xc skis and glide through the woods, enjoying the crisp air and bountiful snow. But, winter in Maine is long. By mid-March, I am ready. I am ready to run through the mud and on the dirt in the woods. I am ready to head out the door in the morning without being bundled up. I am ready for short sleeve running! Yes, it is early still. There is likely another month until we have consistently warm weather and the snow has melted. But I can dream, can't I? Spring, do you hear me? I am ready! Come on up!

I got out for a run across the street this morning. It was chilly. Luckily, this meant the snowmobile trails were frozen and I did not sink in. The sun was shining and the birds were singing. I heard a Downy Woodpecker calling and pecking away on a birch tree. Pretty uneventful, but nice to get out.

2 comments:

R. Ian Parlin said...

I'm with you. I can't wait to run in mud again!

Sparkplug said...

Hope you get some good mud running in today down in MA!