Monday, March 23, 2009

Cold and Windy 12

Lack of motivation, and perhaps a bit too much fun on Saturday night :-), meant we didn't get out to run as planned yesterday. So, this morning we headed to Bradbury to get in the scheduled 12 mile run. It was cold and windy, but as we headed up the Snowmobile Trail, I warmed right up. With the cold temps, the snow was pretty well packed in most spots, with a fair amount of ice, a few bare spots and some soft snow in the sun. Once we crossed the first road, the wind really picked up, making the last mile out less than pleasant. We turned around at the top of the field at exactly 4 miles and headed back in.

I was still feeling pretty good when we hit the parking lot, as we had kept the pace pretty mellow, so we continued on to do one lap of the Fat Ass course. I am bummed that I am going to be missing out on the FA excitement next week, but I must admit that I am not all that bummed to be missing this course :-) It is going to be a tough one! As we reached the summit, we took a quick break, and said hello to today's Hawk Watcher. With a strong wind blowing, it didn't sound like too many raptors had been spotted today, unfortunately. Then it was down the Tote Road, where I started to realize I was really getting hungry! This made for a bit of a slow slog up to the turn off for the Terrace Trail and the final descent. All in all, a good, if tiring, day out on the trails, and a good excuse to stop and get a big sandwich at Big Top on the way home :-)

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm... That review did not increase my interest in joining in on the upcoming fatass run... Why can't you make it, again?

Sparkplug said...

Oh come on, it will be fun! Or maybe I mean painful :-) I have to work, unfortunately...

Unknown said...

I guess it's true that for people like us, "fun" and "pain" can sometimes be confused.