Friday, November 6, 2015

A Bit of Catchup

The intent to run has been there this week but it hasn't always panned out ;) Tuesday, I just never got up early enough which meant I really wanted to be sure I dragged myself out of bed on Wednesday. Unfortunately, I had to be to work early so I didn't have a ton of time. Still, I managed to get up and out and run 4 miles around the neighborhood. Nothing special but at least I got up and out. Wednesday evening, I was exhausted and asleep before 9:00 pm. I didn't wake up until 4:00 am, which for me is practically a miracle! But did I get out for a run? Nah... oops...still feeling a bit less motivation than normal for sure.

This morning, I knew I had a long laundry list of things to do before I headed over to Woodside at 2:00 pm to volunteer in Sam's classroom so I decided to get in a run before Sam woke up so as to free up the rest of the morning. It was warm out - 50 degrees! - but very foggy and misty. I headed out at 6:00 am and while it should have been light enough to see without a headlamp, I needed one to cut through the semi-darkness brought on by the overcast and fog. I had to tiptoe a bit along the singletrack out in the woods and along the river, as the trails are covered with a thick and rather slippery layer of golden beech leaves. Got in a solid 8 miles, but in one of my slowest times along the route this year. Legs still recovering? Indeed.

After Sam and I left school, we did a few errands then went over to the Cathance for a short late afternoon hike/walk/run down to the river. We had the trails to ourselves and enjoyed kicking up the leaves and listening to the roaring river on a nice little 20 minute outing on a warm November afternoon. We would have stayed out longer but were running out of light! Ah, these daylight savings days... Regardless, always good to be out in the woods with the kiddo!

Wearing our reflective gear to make up for the fact that we didn't have on hunter's orange 
(even though no hunting is allowed in the Cathance anyway)

Late fall trail

Kicking up leaves

Cutie pie

Roaring river

Running

Late afternoon light

November sky

No comments: