Wednesday, February 26, 2014

Afternoon Run on the Lovers Lane Loop

Spent the morning at a fire and safety training meeting for work. There were a few moments of levity during the 3 1/2 hour class, but man, it hurts to sit constantly in a chair for that long! And hopefully, I will never be tasked with donning gloves, eyewear and a face mask to clean up bodily fluids... I do not envy those that work at the shelter. It is tough work. Luckily, the admin office a little more predictable! I was reminded that I should purchase a new fire extinguisher and change our smoke detector batteries. Did you know that having a working smoke detector betters your chance of surviving a fire by 80%? That's a pretty big number...

In any event, after sitting around talking about fires and bodily fluid spills and Hepatitis B shots, I was feeling a bit glum. It didn't help that when I left work a little before 2:00 pm, the skies were overcast and the wind was whipping. The car thermometer said 28 degrees but it sure didn't feel like it. The bottom line is that I was feeling less than enthused about my run, but I knew if I didn't change and get out the door as soon as I got home I wouldn't go, as I needed to get some newsletter work done later in the afternoon. Inertia is a powerful thing... sometimes getting out the door really is the hard part... because once I got running, I felt great! The snowmobile trails were firm and a little more even than during yesterday morning's run, the skies brightened while I was out there, and things felt good. Got in a nice 6.75 mile run, and even managed to get my work done, get dinner made and pick up Sam at a reasonable time. Of course, the kitchen is currently a mess, but hey... ;)

No comments: