Saturday, February 22, 2014

Mockingbird Fat Ass Run

I've missed Val's fat ass run the past few years because of work, so I was so excited to be able to run there this morning! Ryan took Sam to swim class so that I could get in the first shift on the trails with friends, and then that plan was for him to bring Sam to Val's, and we'd swap. John very nicely picked me up and we headed over around 7:30 am. It was bright and sunny, but warming up quickly. With all the snow, and rain, it was bound to be interesting out there... I had plans for 15 miles, but figured I'd just see how it went.

It's always fun to run with friends, and today was no exception. The route consisted of two out-and-backs on opposite sides of the road in the fields near Val's house. We lined up and headed out on the snowshoe packed trail out to the snowmobile trail in single file. I ended up next to Mindy for the first few miles, and it was fun to catch up as we ran along. Conditions on the snowmobile trail were much better than I had envisioned, but we did have to cross a slushy, icy, frickin' freezing stream in the midst of the first out-and-back. Brrrr! That was incentive to pick up the pace on both sides of the water.

Toward the second turn-around on the other side of the road, I had caught up to the end of the front pack, which was lacking Ian, John and Zak who had gone awry near turn-around #1 and tacked on a bit of mileage. The pace was relatively mellow so I figured I'd just stay with the guys and see how it went. I was feeling good, and figured it couldn't hurt to push the pace on the run a bit if I could hack it. It was fun to meander along the trail talking with different people. We got back to the house in 53:00 or so, with 5 miles down. After a few snacks, the guys headed out, and I headed out with them. Somewhere around the middle of the first out-and-back, Ian joined the group, and with that, the pace picked up. I hung on for a bit, talking with Zak, but eventually dropped off the back. They were a good carrot to keep me moving, though ;) 

John and I running through the fields. 

Back to the house around 1:45 in, and after a quick pee break, I headed out a minute behind the guys. The stream had gotten wider and deeper by the start of the third lap. Yikes! Despite the warm sun and high temps, that water was still darn cold! I caught up to John on this lap, who had dropped back a bit as he wanted to keep going a few more laps, and we ran along, slipping and sliding and sinking. The snow was still hard in the shadows but much more mashed potato-esque in the sun. My hip flexors were moaning a bit, but nothing else to do but kept moving. I even got ahead of John during the last mile or so, although of course, he went on get in 26 miles, so getting "ahead" hardly counts :-)

Got back to the house with 15.25 miles in 2:38 (including stops) - very happy to feel good throughout and finish up feeling strong. Ryan and Sam had arrived a bit prior to my return, so we got Ryan out the door for his run, and then Sam and I settled into the living room to watch some Olympic hockey, eat some food and hang out for a bit. I didn't think we'd last too long, but in the end, we stayed until 4:00 pm! Sam had a blast. She colored and watched a bit of Caillou on the couch with Amy, played with Hawkeye for at least a few hours, following him around and petting him, then finished up the afternoon with a few "wresting" matches with Jamie and John, who were very good sports about getting "thrown" to the floor by a four-year old! ;)

Sam loved Hawkeye!

It was a great day out on the trails and with friends. Thanks, Val and Rick! So happy to be able to join in on the fun!

No comments: