Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Rainy Wednesday

I'm doing my best to keep my runs short and sweet, but wanted to test things out on a slightly longer run today, so I headed out this morning to run around the Heath. I figured that would get me 4 miles and be just about right. It was raining steadily as I ran across the road, dodging puddles covered with yellow pollen. The woods were green and the air was heavy. The bog bridges on the loop around the Heath were slick with moss so the going was a bit slow, but it was great to at least be doing a bit of my run on some technical trails! As I rounded the edge of the Heath near the beaver dam, I noticed a Painted Turtle sitting in the grass. I stopped to watch her (?) for a while, thinking I might get to see her lumber off, but nope, she just stuck her head into her shell and sat there. Perhaps she was getting ready to lay her eggs? Neat.

I was happy to again have no foot pain during or after the run, and leads me to believe that as long as I am careful over the next few weeks, I will be able to continue to build up my mileage without re-injuring things, and hopefully be back into the groove of things soon! Hurray! The only issues still remaining are 1) that I cannot seem to loosen up my right leg fully. It felt great last week after seeing Dr. Jamie on Monday, but has tightened up again, despite my regimen of stretches, rolling and strengthening exercises. Something to continue to work on, I guess, and hopefully another visit with Dr. Jamie will help too; and 2) my legs simply feel like concrete out there! I guess when I look back at my training log, excepting TARC, I've had 6 weeks of either complete rest or very low mileage. I suppose only time and more miles can fix the heavy-legs feeling, but I am certainly looking forward to an effortless feeling run sometime soon :-)

No comments: