Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Unexpected

Although I set the alarm last night to go off at 5am, I knew there was a pretty good chance I wouldn't be getting up. I am tired. It is as simple as that. So, this morning I slept in a bit instead of getting out to run before the sun was up. The good thing is that we are starting to shift into our fall hours at the gallery and I don't have to be in quite so early anymore. This also means that I actually have the option to squeeze a run in after I drop Sam off at daycare and before I head up to work. Of course, I feel slightly guilty dropping her off and then going out to run instead of spending more time with her, but getting her there at 8am puts her on schedule to get her morning snack and nap with the other kids, which I think is important too.

Anyway, before I left to drop her off this morning, Ryan asked me what I had planned for my run. I had been thinking of doing 5 miles, but he said he would join me if I wanted to just run 3 miles (ah, the beauty of the taper (for him, anyway)!). Sure, why not?! So off we ran around 8:15. It was hot. And humid. And the air quality was bad, bad, bad. As we were running down the high school road, Ryan suggested doing his Mt. Ararat loop instead of being out in the sun for the whole run on the powerlines. So, we zigged and zagged through the woods in the shade on the Mt. Ararat trails, and went up and down the "mountain" a few times instead of running out and back on the lines. I was amazed how much the bad air quality really affected me, even on a short 3 mile run. I was wheezing like crazy in a few spots, especially working up the hills, and I haven't had that happen in years. Definitely not an exercise-friendly day, but I'm glad I at least got in a short run and it was nice to have an unexpected chance to run with Ryan. The leg felt OK - definitely an overall tightness up and down the left leg, but no acute pain, which I am more than happy with. I will have to keep working on stretching, but I'm hopeful that I can work this out without too much trouble. And now, I am off to relish in the A/C at the gallery for the day :-)

No comments: