Thursday, September 23, 2010

No Crying Over Spilt Milk

This morning as I set down Sam's bag on the counter at daycare, I realized I had managed to not put the top to the bottle on correctly, and half of the milk had spilled out into the bottom when the bottle had tipped over during the car ride. D***! I worked hard for that milk. Ugh. Luckily, they have a can of formula there for her just in case I don't bring in enough milk, so although I felt horrible, I knew she would be fine. Of course, I could have gone home, taken some milk out of the freezer and brought it back, but instead, I stuck to my plan and headed home, put on my running shoes and went out for a quick 3 mile run before jumping in the shower and hitting the road to make it to work just in time. Does that make me a bad person?!

Speaking of milk, we will be introducing whole milk to Sam this weekend! I am crossing my fingers that her little system handles the milk fine so that I can begin to phase out pumping. We are still nursing at night and in the morning, and I am fine with that. But the pumping, I can definitely do without, and I will be so excited to put that bag aside and never look at it again. I have to say, when I was pregnant with Sam and thinking about the whole nursing/pumping/working thing, I never thought I would make it this far, either nursing or pumping, and I am pretty proud that, assuming all goes to plan over the next few weeks, I will have been able to provide Sam with breastmilk for a full year. I am hopeful that Sam's birthday, October 9th, will be my last day pumping at work, and man, that definitely qualifies as a reason to throw a party, or at least have a drink! :-)