Monday, January 4, 2010

Skiing and Running

My original intent for Sunday was to run, but it seemed a shame to waste all the nice new snow, so off to Pinelands we went! The place was packed when we arrived at 1pm, and there were a number of Trail Monsters, including Jamie, Jim, Stephen, James, Jeff and Cacky, out enjoying the skiing, which was unexpected and fun! I took first shift with Sam up in the Visitor's Center, and Ryan headed out with Jamie and Jim for a bit of a skate lesson - Jamie is new to skate skiing but seemed to be doing really well out there! I'm impressed - skate skiing is not easy, let me tell you! While they were out, I fed and changed Sam and after she had had enough of looking out the window, we did a few laps around the market until she fell asleep. She slept through shift change, and I headed out onto the snow for a lap with Jamie and Jim and then a few laps myself. It was a warm afternoon, and wet snow/rain was falling, but the conditions were pretty good, although there were no set classic tracks, so my ankles got a workout attempting to keep me stable as I skied along. I was only out for 30 minutes, but it was fun!

I'm trying to slowly up my weekly running mileage, so today's plan was to run 6 miles for my "long" run of the week. The shoulders and sidewalks around town seemed pretty messy when I was out doing errands this morning with Sam, so I opted to go to the bike path instead for my first bike path run of the winter :-) The wind was at my back for most of the way out, and underneath the gathering clouds there was a thin band of light above the trees along the icy river - very pretty. I added a bit on at the end of the bike path to get to 3 miles before I turned around, and finished the 6 miles in 53:00 for 8:50 pace - hurray! First longer run at under 9 minute pace :-)

3 comments:

Jamie Anderson said...

Well done! Sub nine for that mileage is most excellent, especially as you're still working on getting back into the swing. Great work!

Fun skiing with you! I'm sure we'll all be doing it again this winter. Big fun!

pathfinder said...

I have to commend you and Ryan on your scheduling...it seems you have done a great job getting in the runs and workouts.

I never skied much personally, but with all you guys writing about the fun, I may have to try it.

Sparkplug said...

Thanks guys! And Kevin, I am really lucky that Ryan works at home several days a week and is willing to watch Sam for me so I can get some running in! When I go back to work full-time I'll have to start getting up at the crack of dawn to get my runs in, but for now, I'm happy to just get out whenever it works out! And if you're up for trying out skiing, you should definitely join us at Pineland sometime!