Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Six on the Snowmobile Trails

This morning I hit the powerlines and snowmobile trails for a 6 mile trail run. The sky was blue, it was warming up quickly into the 20s, and the trails were packed and firm. What more could I ask for? Of course, I did take a big digger at mile 1, where I had some good momentum coming down off the hill after Highland Green Road. Ow! My right foot went through what looked like a solid, crusty surface into the powdery snow below, down to my upper shin, and I fell forward onto my left side. That snow is hard, let me tell you! After a quick stop to shake myself off and make sure all was well, I continued on, glad that no damage seemed to have been done.

At the two mile mark, I headed left onto some snowmobile trails I had not ventured onto before. Our normal summer route along the powerlines continues straight, but there is a big ravine that the snowmobiles can't get across, so they head left instead. Ryan had run on these trails last winter, so he was able to give me a bit of a preview of the trail. There was some nice long flat stretches as well as some twisty, narrower sections, and the running was really nice. I turned around when the Garmin read 3 miles, but I'd like to continue on and explore the trails a bit more. Seems like some good winter running possibilities. I finished up the run in 58:01, which I was pretty happy with, although I was certainly tired as I came in the door. Still, it's nice to be getting out for some longer runs and upping the mileage a bit!

And just because, here are a few shots of little Sam :-)


Look at my socks!


Smile :-)

2 comments:

pathfinder said...

What a Happy Baby....I think a reflection of great parents...

Sparkplug said...

Thanks Kevin :-) We try!