Friday, April 3, 2009

Time To Fess Up!

You may, or may not, have been wondering about my recent postings. I've missed out on a bunch of fun long runs with the Trail Monsters. Many of my runs have been short, and slow. I haven't been talking about upcoming races. What gives? Well, I think I have a pretty good excuse but I wasn't quite ready to reveal it until now. So here it is... I'm pregnant!

Yup, me, pregnant. Holy crap! Crazy, isn't it?

It is a bit odd to put that phrase out into cyberspace for all the world (or all of my few loyal readers) to see. And truly, it is a funny thing, this "being pregnant". I don't think you'd notice by looking at me (yet!). But I feel it. I've been really tired. I've been a bit nauseous. I've had indigestion. I've been seriously hungry. My runs have slowed considerably, although part of that is by design, as I'm trying to keep the little one healthy and that means I can't be exerting myself too much. Although, even that, I realize, is subjective. There is much information/advice (often conflicting) available on the subject of exercising while pregnant, but it appears that doctors have, for the most part, embraced the fact that an active, healthy mother-to-be means a healthy baby, and most recommend keeping up your activity level during pregnancy, barring complications.

So, as I've always been a runner, I can continue to run, but should take it easy, listen to my body, drink lots of fluids, not overheat, etc. All of this means go slow. Not that I'm a speed demon by any stretch :-) Still, running 10-minute miles on the road is a bit depressing... Yes, I know, I should think how lucky I am to be running at all. And I am! I do feel lucky. I feel happy to be healthy and active. But part of me still thinks it is sad to be running at such a plodding pace. And I will only get slower, I'm sure. Ah well. Hopefully I will come back with serious speed once the little one has arrived! Hey, a girl can dream anyway, right?! :-)

And, of course, this latest development puts a crimp in my plans to do some ultrarunning this year! :-) If I'm trying to take it easy out there, I can't be pushing myself in a race, and while I'm hoping to keep up with my 9 to 10 mile "long" runs, being out for hours and hours just doesn't seem to be in the cards. But, I am still planning to run a few races. I will just be at the back of the pack, and certainly won't be counting on any PR times :-) Although we've decided to skip the Merrimack River Trail Run for various reasons, I'm planning to join Snowman at the Muddy Moose Race later in April. However I'll be running the 4 mile course whereas Snowman will run the 14 miler. And while it's a "no" to running the 50k at Pinelands on Memorial Day weekend, I'm still planning to run the 25k. It will simply involve a fair amount of walking up the hills and stopping to eat and drink at all the aid stations. But that will likely be it.

Toning back my running and my goals has been (and is) a bit rough. I am not patient. I want to be tough. I want to keep up with Snowman. I have always been able to run, for myself. And now, it is not just about me. But I am trying to accept this, and to realize that being pregnant is not a permanent situation. Yes, 9 months seems like a long time. But in the scheme of things, it isn't. So, I am attempting to take a deep breath, enjoy running while I can, and be accepting of the fact that 2009 is not going to be a banner running year. And that, really, is OK. So, after Pinelands, I will be supporting Snowman in his quest to run a 50 miler before the little one arrives, and don't plan on any more races. (Ian, this means you have at least one volunteer at all the Bradbury races! :-) )

Well, there you go... that is the news. Part of me is scared out of my wits, but the rest of me is smiling and excited about the upcoming adventure. Things are changing, that's for sure!

We heard the little one's heart beat earlier this week at the doctor's, which I must admit almost made me cry. It was beating like a crazy maniac, which I guess is normal at this stage, since it's so tiny (...the size of a prune, according to the book. A prune?! I mean, come on, couldn't they have chosen a better fruit!) As for the details, I'm currently 12 weeks along, with an estimated due date of October 14th. This means, if all goes according to plan, the little one will be our 10 year anniversary baby :-)

CRAZY!

14 comments:

R. Ian Parlin said...

I thought you were looking a bit full in the belly last time I saw you. Just kidding. Congratulations!! This isn't some kind of belated April Fools thing is it? I never knew Snowman could keep a secret so well.

This is very exciting stuff. Well done.

I like the sound of your running plan, you need to get that little prune used to the idea that mom is a runner.

R. Ian Parlin said...

Oh, and thanks for offering to help at Bradbury!

Sparkplug said...

Ian, no joke! And yes, I must admit I am surprised Ryan held onto the secret, especially through last weekend! He did tell me he was dying to just scream out "she's pregnant" in response to why I wasn't there (although I really was working...) :-)

Ann and George said...

Wow, you almost cried when you heard the heartbeat, I'm almost crying reading your post! So happy for you and Snowman...and running slow isn't so bad, take it from me...it's all about just doing it!

(George is at work, but when he calls home, I'll be sure to tell him!)

middle.professor said...

Holy cow - Awesome! Congratulations! Who's the dad? I have to rush off to a meeting so cannot finish the post (I just finished reading the word "pregnant"). I'll be back. Two words though - Paula Radcliffe -J

TANK said...

That's so awesome! Congrats to you both!!! We're really happy for you. I'm guessing your baby will be a runner. In fact, by age 2, I am guessing he/she will already be faster than me.

Congrats! We will be keeping up with your progress on your blog!

Gnarls said...

congratulations to you and Ryan, we will have a very young trail monster running with us soon, need to roder some smaller singlets for sure. I agree with Jeff, Paula came back faster after having her kid, hmm now that's got me thinking now. I think you will come back stronger than before especially if you push your baby up those hills at Pineland.

Very happy for you both.

Jamie Anderson said...

Whoa!!! Congrats!!!!!

Gramie (the new one!) said...

You definitely made me cry!

Sparkplug said...

Thanks everyone :-) All your comments made me smile!

And yes, I hope the little one is a runner too... at least s/he will be exposed to a lot of crazy races and great people, and will hopefully be proud to cheer us on as we run by!

Willow said...

Wow! Congratulations!!
I believe they're called dried plums now, not prunes :)
I'm really excited for you guys.
--Willow

mindy said...

Congrats!!! Wow!! You have a valid excuse for saying you're feeling tired in the mornings, I got nothin'! I'm so psyched for you guys - very cool news. I know many women who have come back faster than ever after a baby - there was even an article in Runners World about it recently, I think. Oh, and you're having a girl.

Blaine Moore said...

WHOO HOO!

Congratulations!

pathfinder said...

Hey congrats!!!! You are surely blessed as childred are our heritage and an extension of our own thoughts and desires.

It was actually my children that brought me to running. I am forever greatful to them.

I can vision you flying by me at some race pushing a stroller.....yes it is true that has happened to me....how humbling!