Monday, April 6, 2009

Feeling Better

I hope I am not jinxing myself in saying this, but I have been feeling better the past few days. Not as tired. Not as queasy. More energetic. "They" say that a lot of what I've been feeling in this first trimester should now be passing, and that I'm moving into the best part of the pregnancy. I'm not sure what to make of the fact that I should feel good for only three of the nine months, but I am glad to have had a few days of feeling back to more of my normal self and hope that it will continue!

Snowman had to head up to work this morning, and with the day to myself, I decided to take advantage of the sunny morning to get in a run. The weather forecast for the rest of the week does not look all that promising, so I wanted to get out and enjoy the sun while I had the chance! I decided to do something slightly different, so I drove to the Pennelville fields, parked the car and started my run from there. This way, I would get in a nice 5 mile loop that included heading down to Simpson's Point. Back in the "normal" days, I wouldn't have thought twice about doing the 9 mile loop out to the point from Bowdoin, and then running 10 miles as I am planning to do on Saturday while we're down in Massachusetts, but as I am trying to focus on getting in some good exercise without going crazy, I thought 5 was a better option.

So, I headed out and enjoyed the run and the sun. It was a bit windier and cooler than I thought, but I was still plenty comfortable in my shorts and long sleeve shirt. The sun on the water down at Simpson's Point was beautiful and I was feeling good. I finished off the 5 miles in 46:00, or 9:15 pace, which again, back in the day wouldn't have been anything much to talk about, but I was really happy to see that I could keep up a slightly quicker pace without having my heart rate go wild. Yes, it was on the roads. And yes, the loop was pretty much completely flat. But whatever, I'll take it! It was great to be out and have a good run in the sunshine.

Flora and fauna notes: There was plenty of birds out flitting around and singing away, but the highlight was an American Kestral seen along the Pennelville fields. First of the season for me! The bird was up on the telephone wires, and as I got closer, he flew a ways down the wire away from me, only to settle in and then do the same thing as I came closer again. I always wonder why birds do this. But regardless, it afforded me a few extra minutes of observation. What a beautiful bird!

No comments: