Sunday, April 26, 2009

Hot and Muddy


Showing off their muddy legs

This morning we headed over to Wolfeboro for the Muddy Moose races. We picked up Ian in Portland, and Carter in Biddeford, making good time over to the shores of Lake Winnipesaukee. It was already hot and humid when we arrived at 8:30 am, with the sun beating down. Considering this would be the first "hot" run for all of us, it was bound to be interesting... Jim, Shauna, Jeff and Erik met up with us, so we had a good showing of Trail Monsters!

Shauna, Erik and I opted for the 4 miler, while the rest of the boys were going to tough it out on the 14 mile course. As we stood at the start, the race director said the course was drier than in years past. Hmmm... with all the mud I came away with caked to my legs, saturating my socks and sticking to my shoelaces, I am not sure I would want to see a wet year out on the course! The race started down a dirt road and onto a relatively wide snowmobile trail. This is where the fun began, with mud puddles galore. There was much slipping and sliding, sloshing and splashing, as we all jockeyed not only for place, but to get through the mud without faceplanting! The mud was definitely trying to come away with my shoes in several spots :-)

My plan for the race was to take it easy. I knew I would not be truly racing. But it was hard to go super slowly, especially at the very beginning. Still, I inevitably slowed up with all the mud. Not to mention it was pretty darn hot out, and I knew that because of that I needed to be careful. At 2 miles, the 14-milers went left, and the 4-milers went right. From this point on, things were less frantic, as the crowds thinned out and we made our way on a stretch of road back to the muddy snowmobile trail. I spent most of the muddy stretch talking and running with a woman for whom this was her first trail race! She was in good spirits though, and I did assure her that not all trail races were this ridiculously muddy!!

When I hit the dirt road again, Shauna was there to run in the last 1/2 mile with me, which was nice! A final uphill and then, it was done. I was hot and covered with mud, but felt good. I didn't feel like I had overdone it, and certainly, that showed in my time :-) Ah well. I was glad I had gotten out and "raced," and thought that despite the heat and mud, it was a fun time.

Shauna and Jeff were the stars of the day with Shauna finishing 2nd, and Jeff winning his age group. Woohoo! Jim had a good race too, despite getting mud under his contact - ow! - as did Erik, coming back from an injury. I am not sure Ian, Carter or Snowman would say they had great races, but considering the heat, mud and tough terrain, they all did well toughing it out :-)

Shauna and I had already cleaned up by the time the guys crossed the line, but I did manage to get some good muddy shots of the guys here.

1 comment:

Jamie Anderson said...

Great job, Danielle! Yeah, I saw the pics of everyone's legs... looked muddy to me. Can't believe the heat.