Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Snowman Says: On the AT - Monson to Unnamed Woods Road

September 14, 2008 | Miles: 15.1
Start: Monson
End: Long Pond Stream Lean-to


And, we’re off!

Forecast called for rain, and that’s what it did. Light rain and mist all day. Not the best way to start our final stretch of the AT, but fitting, since we began in similar conditions in ’05.

Best part of the day was the shuttle ride from Monson with 2 guys who said, “We’ve never hiked before.” They asked a ton of questions, including: “What’s it like to hike in the rain?” It was hilarious. I hope they’re still alive.

Lots of little ups and downs today, but nothing terrible. The terrain did seem to get more difficult after the first 10 miles, but again, nothing terrible. The major feature of today was the fords. Three total, plus 4 other tricky crossings. The biggest ford was Big Wilson Stream, which was more than knee-deep…and COLD! We also had to ford Long Pond Stream about a mile before the shelter. Well, I thought I could rock hop it, but ended up going in with my boots on. After walking in the rain all day, I didn’t think my boots could get any wetter, but they did. grumble

Five (K-Bomb, Mocassin, Wookie) of us in the shelter tonight, with two (Enoch, Orangedust) more and their dog (Bea) in their tent. Everyone else is thruhiking. Wookie who is on his third attempt. Everyone is soaked and looking forward to the forecast of clearing skies for the rest of the week.

September 15, 2008 | Miles: 13.6
Start: Long Pond Stream Lean-to
End: East Chairback Pond


Ouch. Today was much harder than we thought it was going to be and certainly much harder than we had wanted. The first day out with a full pack was tough, but today we could really feel it. My shoulders are not used to a pack loaded with 4 days of food. Oh, and the terrain was nasty. Lots of steep ups and downs. Wicked rocky. With big pointy teeth! Look at the bones!

Of course, I started off grumpy as we climbed Barren Mountain…in the mist, rain and clouds. It had stopped wetting on us by the time we stopped for a snack, and then the sun even came out. We found a sweet lunch spot by a stream in the sun to dry us and some of our gear out. Nice.

Based on the terrain, we decided to cut today a little short and stopped at East Chariback Pond. Sweet spot. Plus, the next possible camp spot is a couple miles down-, down-, downhill, which would made D really, really grumpy at the end of a day that has already made her grumpy. At least the sun is out. Hopefully, we’ll get back on schedule in the next couple days.

September 16, 2008 | Miles: 16.0
Start: East Chairback Pond
End: Unnamed woods road


Today was a classic day on the AT. Lots of highs and lows.

A bit chilly in the tent this morning, but the sun was shining brightly. What was even chillier was the ford of the West Branch of the Pleasant River. It was only shin deep, but our ankles and feet were aching by the time we hit the other side. We skipped the 5-mile loop out through Gulf Hagas, but we hope to come back eventually.

I haven’t yet mentioned the roots. Well, they’re everywhere and in every direction. I tripped on one today and landed flat on my face. Well, I tripped, stumbled, staggered, and almost took D out…my face actually hit her leg. I’m pretty scraped up and bruised on my knees and one elbow. Add that to the scrapes from the first two days, and my legs look like I was playing soccer with an angry cat. Maybe it makes me look tougher. Hopefully, I’ve gotten my falls out of the way. We’re in the 100-Mile Wilderness with Katahdin in sight…I can’t go down now.

Speaking of Katahdin, we had our first views of the Big K today! Woohoo! We stopped just past the summit of Gulf Hagas Mountain (Tough climb, 43 million rock steps) to try to id a couple birds. All of a sudden I looked up, and said, “Holy crap!” About 5 seconds later D looked up, too. “Holy crap!” There it was off in the distance. Big K here we come. Later in the day after the loooonnnggg climb up White Cap, we had even better views of the mountain. We’re practically there!

Here’s what hiking with D is like: During that long climb up White Cap, actually, along a subsidiary peak, Hay Mountain, I slipped off a small, point rock and whacked my arch right off the point. Not a bone-breaking whack, but a dammnit-that-frickin-hurts-and-now-I’m-going-to-jump-around-and-shake-it-out whack. While I hopping and cursing, D says, “Are you OK? Want to go first? Want some food?” In other words, “I can see you’re not dying, so get you act together and start walking.” She’s trying to kill me.

The plan for today was to go about 2 miles further to East Branch Lean-to, but we called it short at this dirt road for the best reason ever: trail magic! Best of all, it’s trail magic from friends! Muleskinner, Woodrose and their dog, Bella, had set up shop in the middle of the 100-Mile Wilderness to drop some trail magic on the thruhikers! Sweet! It was awesome to see those guys, catch up and have some fruit and soup. Great stuff! Thanks, guys!

Like I said, lots of ups and downs.

No comments: