Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Creaky 5

I headed out across the street at 6:30am. First time running in long sleeves, tights and gloves since sometime in early spring. As I crested the first hill on the powerlines, the bright orange orb of the sun was beginning to rise over the trees, casting a pink glow along the horizon. The berries on the trailside bushes, which a few weeks ago were blush/pink colored have now turned a deep, rich purple. As I neared the final flat stretch along the powerlines, a low mist was rising and the red blueberry leaves along the side of the trail were frost covered. I guess fall has arrived.

Lots of birds flitting in and out of the bushes. I flushed out a number of sparrows, three robins, a chickadee and an Eastern Towhee as I ran by.

I felt a bit creaky throughout the run, perhaps because in the past 12 days, I've run two, hiked eight in a row, and then taken the past two off. But it was nice to be out, and get the blood flowing through my legs. Desipte the my creakiness, I ended with a solid time on the route, nothing slower than I've been doing in previous weeks, which is good.

The plan is for 10 road miles tomorrow and then another 5 either Friday or Saturday. Sunday brings our last long run - 20, 21, 22? - before the marathon. Yikes! It's getting close!

No comments: