Saturday, September 6, 2008

Does It Count?

This has to be a short post, as I'm at work... but here's the question.

Snowman and I have plans to hike the 24 miles from Rangeley to Caribou Valley Road this weekend. This is a section we've done before, headed north, from Rangeley to Caribou Valley Road. It must have have been 8 or 9 years ago. I'll have to look the date up to be sure. We had planned to do the whole stretch over the Crockers that trip too, but had to bail out at CVR, due to the fact that we were in way over our heads, it was pouring like crazy and we were exhausted.

Given that Tropical Storm Hanna is headed north, and weather might be sucky, we are still up in the air about going. If we don't go as a backpack, we could go as a really long dayhike on Monday. But if we don't get out this weekend at all, what does it mean to our AT hike?

Next weekend we start in on our 100 mile wilderness/Katahdin section, which is the last stretch. When we reach Katahdin, if we haven't done the above 24 miles this year but have done it in the past before our AT hike was even a glimmer in our eyes, have we hiked the whole trail?

I guess I feel that since we haven't done it in conjunction with this AT hike, we wouldn't really be done. But perhaps I am being a bit obsessive? So tell me, you other crazy, obsessive, number crunching runners and hikers, what do you think? Does it count?

2 comments:

Jamie Anderson said...

I would think it would. Section hike is a section hike, regardless of when you've done it. The only caveat being if you had previously made a goal to section hike the trail in X amount of time. If not, I say you guys have done it before, IMHO. Good luck in whatever you decide!

mindy said...

I think it counts, too. You hiked it, doesn't matter when - it's in the books as completed. Let's try and connect about the car drop issue - if you are finishing on a Sunday, it's quite possible we could help you out!