Friday, August 19, 2016

And Then, Bam, Back to Reality

Well, that one cool day was an August fluke apparently, as Wednesday morning it was 75 degrees, 94% humidity, and a dew point of 71 degrees at 5:30 am. Ugh. Headed out onto Highland Green Road for a workout but kept it as slow as I could :) 8:40, 8:30 and 8:20 for the middle three miles. Kind of pathetic for a tempo but I wasn't wiling to push too much on such a nasty morning.

Thursday morning, Ryan got up early to run 22 miles into work and I went out after dropping Sam at camp. It was a nice beautiful sunny day but the air was dead in the woods, it was hot and getting hotter. Sadly, I didn't feel great from the start and it didn't get any better. I kept the pace decent as I headed out to Head of Tides but wow, was I sweating, and by the time I got back to the house at 13 miles, I was really feeling the heat. 

I went inside for about 10 minutes and changed shirts, cooled off my wrists, had some coke and Oreos, recipes my hydration pack and hoped I'd last for another round. I thought about going out on the Powerlines so I would get a bit of a breeze but it was just too sunny, so I headed back into the Cathance. 

Over the final 8 miles, I managed to keep the pace ok, but kept having to stop to keep myself from overheating. Got in 21 miles and was done. Really wished I'd felt better out there but nothing to be done about it. All the runs can't be great ones, but man, I'll be glad when cooler temps arrive!! 



After the run, I spent some time cleaning and getting us ready for our NJ trip. Picked up Sam after her Crescent Beach field trip and we headed to Falmouth to pick up Ryan. 

All of us were pretty knackered but we had a 6 hour drive ahead of us. Wheee!! 😳

Thankfully traffic wasn't bad and Sam
got a few hours of sleep along the way. We arrived at 11:30 pm and all collapsed into bed.

Needless to say, getting up for a morning run was not high on Ryan's list this morning but it was the best day to get in a few outside miles. We headed out around 8:00 am, and guess what? It was hot out! Sigh. Add in the cars, running in circles, pavement and concrete and we may have both been a bit cranky :) Ahhh, Jersey. 6 miles done and oh so grateful for where we run every day. This city running stuff kinda sucks ;)


But the travel was worth it to see all three little cousins together. So cute :) 



















No comments: