Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Will These Work?

In a panic move upon the realization that I would no longer be able to get the Ultra 290 in my size, I purchased a pair of Roclite 295s on sale. I've worn them a half dozen times, but I'm really not digging them. Which is funny, as I have worn previous derivations of this shoe with much success in the past. But recently, I've almost exclusively worn the Ultra 290, which is a much different shoe, and I've really gotten used to that more stable, more cushioned feel. And so I am just not digging the 295. Therefore, I'm relegating them to hiking shoes, and since I purchased them for only like $44, I'm not feeling too badly about it. But it means I am still in need of a shoe replacement for the 290.

Ryan, being the wonderful husband and shoe geek that he is (and probably not wanting to hear me moan and groan about it any longer), found about 10 pairs of shoes which he thought would be comparable to the 290. I looked at them all online, read reviews, hemmed and hawed, and finally purchased a pair of the North Face Ultra Endurance (on sale) to try out.  I also found a pair of Inov-8 Roadclaw 275 (again on sale), as I have no road shoes and the NF shoes have a more aggressive tread than the 290s, which will probably make them less usable on roads. The Roadclaw apparently runs small, so I figured I'd gamble with the 6.5 and see what happened. I can always return them if necessary.

I wore the Ultra Endurance around the house the other night, even wearing one NF and one Inov-8 to see how they felt in comparison. It *seemed* comparable enough that I  decided to try them out this morning on my run. (Sam chose this color combo over the grey/purple that was also available.)

North Face Ultra Endurance

Big lugs

I got out a little after 5:00 am. Another gorgeous morning out in the Cathance. Beautiful glowing light above the trees, mist rising on the Heath, quiet woods and dew-covered fields. Got in a lovely 7 miles and felt good. Even better, the new shoes really felt good! At first, I noticed the heels seemed to be a bit looser than the Inov-8s but overall, I thought they felt a little less clunky than the 290s and very nice and cushiony and comfortable. Definitely a successful first run in them!

Glowing light above the Heath

Mist rising

Early morning light

Mist and reflections along the Cathance

Speaking of gorgeous, I stopped at the farmer's market on my way into work and picked up this glorious looking selection of mid-summer deliciousness. Yum!








No comments: