Thursday, July 21, 2016

Morning Running

Monday morning the running just did not happen. I was still tired out from the VT weekend, and sleeping in for a little bit longer just seemed like a much better idea than getting up at 4:00 am. But Tuesday, I knew I needed to get out. After an unexpected four day lay-off due to not pacing at VT :(, I was ready to get back on the trails and running.

It was another gorgeous Maine summer morning. I lucked out and managed to get in all my miles without seeing or swatting or hearing even one deerfly! I guess 5:15 am is the time to run :0

Felt a bit creaky at the get-go, but loosened up and managed to keep up a decent pace on a nice 7 mile loop up over Mt. A., out through the Cathance and back along the powerlines. Saw a snowshoe hare, enjoyed the mist rising over the Heath, saw a wood lily gleaming in the early morning light, and picked some blueberries to eat along the way. Life is good indeed!



Wednesday was another failure of a morning to get up with the alarm, but no harm done, I was up this morning and out the door at 5:45 am to make up for it. I wore my new road shoes - the Inov-8 Roadclaw 275 - and they seemed fairly comfortable during my Suicide & Chicken Hill workout. I did the same up strong/down fast routine, but this week I added a fourth time up/down both hills for a total of 8 repeats. I will admit to being fairly tired by the end, and also soaked ;)  A solid 5.2 mile effort for the morning. Even saw a big old lumbering porcupine along the top of the road at the 1 mile mark. Fun!

No comments: