Sunday, January 24, 2016

Sunny Sunday

Today was the first race in the 2016 Bradbury Mountain Snowshoe Series. Sam had a bit of a rough morning being woken up first by Ronnie yowling in the hallway and then by Ryan going in and out of the house a half a dozen times carrying things to the car, but turned it around in time to make it over to the park around 10:00 am. It was a bright, sunny and cold morning, but it is always good to catch up with people and see everyone excited for the race. With 91 racers, it was a great field!

Squall start. Photo by: Dirigo Endurance, LLC.

Sam and I were manning the finish line - it was a busy but fun assignment that kept us occupied. We had a new registration/awards area right near the finish line this time, and I think a lot more people hung around after, which was really nice! After awards were given and everything was cleaned up, Sam and I headed over to Edna & Lucy's for lunch; we were joined a little later by Ryan, John and Damon, and we all had a good time chatting. 

By the time we got home it was around 2:30, but it had warmed up considerably, so leaving Ryan and Sam to watch the game and work on the results, I headed out for my own run of the day. I chose to wear my screwshoes, which was a fine decision for the singletrack around the Heath and down along the river, which had been packed nicely, but which made for slow going on the loose snowmobile trail and the soft groomed ski trails along the backside of Mt. A. and the golf course. I've never been a huge fan of the late afternoon run - I am just so much happier running in the mornings - but, it was a gorgeous afternoon and I was glad to be able to get out. Finished up the week with 34.5 miles, 4th 30+ mile week in a row, so progress! 

No comments: