Thursday, February 5, 2015

Too Much!

OK, I will say it. I like the idea of snowshoeing and really love a good snowshoe hike. But, honestly, snowshoe running is not my favorite activity. I'm sure it is good strength work and I probably need it, but this morning it felt like torture. I went out in the falling snow this morning and ran across the street (very carefully and with my vest and headlamp on) and strapped on my snowshoes at the edge of the Mt. A. bus lot.

There were a few snowmobile tracks so I was hopeful. But then I started running... and it was so soft... with several inches of new snow on top. Slow goin' for sure! Then it was even slower when I attempted to run up Mt. A. There was a thin ribbon of broken trail - one snowmobile track with Ryan's ski tracks on top. It wasn't well packed and I kept sliding off of semi-packed portion and into the deep powder. Even with some hiking mixed it, it was not super duper. I ran along the top of the hill, down through the woods and out to the field, where did a loop before returning the way I had come.

I ended up with 3.1 miles (only 2.5 of snowshoeing) in 46 minutes. I think I'm going to have to go with the effort/time on feet over distance theory today :)

No comments: