Sunday, June 29, 2014

Southwest Harbor Weekend, Part II

I got up this morning bright and early and headed out for my run. My plan was to run the same route that Ryan had run, which was about 3 miles of road followed by a loop up and over Beech Mountain and back. It was sunny and humid, even at 6:15 in the morning. I took the roads easy, and then enjoyed running the nice mellow start of the West Ridge Trail as it wandered along the lake. Once the trail hit the rock ledges and began to climb in earnest, I hiked. There was no running to be done.

Summit selfie. A little sweaty :-)

Beech Mountain firetower

Summit vista

After a short stop at the summit, I headed down. The trail down was pretty runnable and I felt good, until I hit a trail junction and against my first reaction, followed the sign that read to Beech Mountain Parking. Seemed logical, as I hadn't noticed another other marked parking area on the map. It was a pretty trail, winding through deep woods and bit fern-covered boulders, but it put me out in a parking lot that well, wasn't the one I wanted. I pulled out the map at that point, and realized, oh shit, I've totally gone the wrong way. I confirmed with a couple who had just pulled up to walk their dog, and then called Ryan to tell him I was going to be a while... He immediately said he'd pick me up. I felt badly and told him I could just do the extra miles, but he insisted, so I ran back the way I came, and headed down the trail the correct way, until I hit the road and they found me there. Oops. So, word to the wise (or unwise), despite all my years of hiking and trail running, I have a horrible sense of direction. Never follow me on a trail I don't know expecting me to go the right way ;) Ha. Well, got in a good 7.5 miles/1:30 of running/hiking at least to start the day!

After a yummy breakfast, we packed up and then headed out. Ryan ran the roads, while Sam and I drove to our destination for the day - Ships Harbor Nature Trail, a nice flat 1.5 mile figure-eight through the forest and along the water. Very pretty. But damn! It was hot! Especially in the sun when there wasn't a breeze. Phew! Still, we had a good walk, and Sam did great, especially given that she was very tired from all the activity yesterday!  

Ship Harbor Nature Trail

Sam loves her Camelbak :-)

Another sip (and another potty break coming up too ;0 )

Beautiful view

Snack time in the shade

We stopped for lunch at a yummy sandwich spot in town before heading back home. A fun weekend away for sure! And Sam was good and tired out :-)

Lunchtime!






No comments: