Saturday, January 11, 2014

Swimming

Today was Sam's first swim lesson. She really loves the water, can swim across the pool with her water wings on and is very comfortable in a pool, so I really thought that it would go well, and that she would love the chance to get to swim this winter. But a little teeny tiny bit of me was worried that Ryan might be right, that it would go badly and be a complete waste of time and money. I was even more worried when we sat waiting for the class to start and Sam's best friend Annie wasn't there. I didn't know if Sam would clam up or get really upset without Anne there. She was quiet and pensive. But as soon as it was time for the kids to line up, she got right in line, took the teacher's hand and walked into the therapy pool area where they held the classes without a backward glance. We went up to the end of the observation deck where we had a view into the room, and sure enough, she had on her PFD floatie and was in the water. We could see her nodding at the teacher's remarks and following instructions. Anne showed up about 10 minutes later - Their driveway was an ice skating rink. I wonder why? Darn this weather! - but I honestly think Sam would have been fine either way. Once she was in the water, she was having fun. We saw her jumping and swimming and playing games. When the half hour was up, she walked out and said, "It was my first class and I did great," with a big smile on her face. We were so proud of her! And so glad it went well :-)

We celebrated with donuts and then came home for lunch and so that Ryan and I could get out for our respective runs in the foggy, rainy, downright yucky weather. I went first, and chose to run the snowmobile trail out to Lover's Lane. It wasn't the best as things were pretty soft and 10:00 to 11:00 pace took some effort, but there were some pretty decent stretches, and I was glad to be on the trail running through the fog and rain instead of on the roads dodging puddles and slush and cars and ice. The weird thing was that when I headed out it was 34 degrees and the rain hitting my face throughout was pretty darn cold, but there were some big pockets of warm air out there. Weird weather!

No comments: