Wednesday, January 1, 2014

New Year's Day = Frozen Pipes, No Run and Some Fun with Friends

Shortly after waking up, I headed into the bathroom only to discover that the water was not running in the upstairs sink. S*&t! We've had the pipes freeze up there before but hadn't thought they'd freeze last night. Of course, it was -10 out. Yikes! Not the way I was hoping to start the day, or the year for that matter. I woke Ryan up and we spent some time trying to see if we could figure out which pipe, etc, before calling a plumber. He couldn't get over right away so Ryan opened up the space under the stairs, cranked the heat in the bathroom, and every once in a while went up to test to see if the water was running again. He got grouchier and grouchier. Then I couldn't open the back door - the bottom part of the slider was sticking. More grouchiness. On top of that, he's still feeling sick from a cold that started last week, so boy oh boy. 

Amazingly, after about 5 hours, the pipe unfroze. Hallelujah! But at that point, we were headed out the door for some much needed playtime with Sam's friend, Anne, while Ryan and Phil headed out to ski in the woods. I really wanted to run, but I knew that Ryan needed the attitude adjustment much more than I did, so I settled for a zero day on the first day of the year. Kind of disappointing, but hey, sometimes life just doesn't quite go as planned. To remedy the lack of training for today, I decided to sign up for a race instead :-) No, not the marathon, the TARC Spring Thaw 6 Hour Run. It will undoubtedly be more "fun" than the marathon and besides, my training plan calls for a long run that day anyway, so sure, why not?! :-)

Besties :-)

Red and white

Late afternoon light

Tromp in the woods

No comments: