Sunday, May 20, 2012

Wolfe's Neck Sunday

Sam, Neenie and I took advantage of the gorgeous day today and headed to Wolfe's Neck State Park this morning for a walk in the woods and a trip down the ocean. I was happy to see a fair number of Bobolinks, Red-winged Blackbirds and swallows flitting through the green and yellow fields along Pleasant Hill and out through Wolfe's Neck, and got a bit of my spring wildflower fix on our brief jaunt through the park - saw a few ladyslippers, lots of false lily of the valley, starflowers, and even one jack in the pulpit!

The sky was blue, there was a slight breeze and it was warm and sunny. The tide was coming in, but there was enough beach left for us to sit for a little over an hour and bask in the sunshine and let Sam play in the tidal pools. We watched the osprey over on the island, hummed at periwinkles and I even found a few small shore crabs to show Sam.

Sam had a blast in the water! Of course, I had packed light and didn't bring a change of clothes. Bad mama :-) Sam ended up with a pretty funny "outfit" for the walk back to the car! HA!

I wish I had been able to enjoy the day with a run, and am a bit frustrated that the foot is feeling good but my right leg is tight tight tight! Ah well, halfway through my running layoff. But besides that, it was a great day to be out, and we had a fun morning together!

Walking the boards

All smiles on the rock ledges

Enjoying the water with Neenie

Picking up shells and periwinkles

Come on in! The water's fine!


Contemplating the ocean

Giving Mama a mud massage

Hanging out in the tidal pool

The aftermath (ie. Mama didn't pack any extra clothes for me :-))


2 comments:

David said...

Looks like a beautiful day with the fam! Funny story for you...I ran into a woman at the 'Brad this morning who resembled you with a little one that resembled Sam! I began to talk to her/you and mid-sentence, just as I was starting to doubt myself, she said to the child "Look he's running. He's exercising!" It was then that I knew and I ran away. Cathance River soon!

Sparkplug said...

Ha! That is too funny! "Look, he's running!" Love it! :-)