Friday, May 4, 2012

Recent Sam-isms

I did not run this morning. It is rainy and yucky out, and honestly, I didn't feel like going out in the cold rain for a 3 mile run. My legs are tight and I am still very tired, so I figured maybe it was a sign. Part of me hates to be taking so many days off this week, but I suppose a bit of extra rest and recovery won't hurt, and hopefully the mental rest will work to get my mind geared up for the next challenge as well. I'm going to wait and see how the next week+ of running goes, but assuming all goes well (and as long as the race doesn't fill up!), I am leaning towards doing the 50k at Pineland. It will be a challenge running another 50k so soon after last weekend's race, but I feel like I have a bit of unfinished business with the 50k there and hopefully I can vanquish that once and for all this time around! :-)

So, since I have no running news to report today, I thought I'd share a few recent "Sam-isms":

This morning, we were downstairs at the coffee table, and she was wearing her "big kid pants." She's still not really using the potty, but I figure we have to keep trying! Anyway, she farted and looked up, laughing, to say to Ryan, "That was from my bum! I don't have a big big bum! You have a big bum." Astute observations, kiddo, although I think Daddo would prefer that you not think his bum was big :-) Ha!

Last night, she decided we needed some coffee, so she went over to her play kitchen, got out mugs for both of us, put the little play mitt on her hand and got coffee ready for us. It went something like this, "Beep beep beep. Coffee's ready! It's hot! Blow on it, guys! Now drink it. You want some more? More coffee? I get you more coffee? OK, more coffee. Beep beep beep...."

Because I love to watch the birds, I have been pointing the ones that come to the feeder and into the backyard for a while now. She recognizes the chickadees, the goldfinch and the blue jays, and knows what the phoebe sounds like too. Lately, we have had several large groups of grackles up in the trees around the complex, making a racket, and a few of them have been visiting the backyard, eating the seed I scatter on the ground for the birds that don't use the feeder. This morning, as we were playing in the living room, she looked up, listened to the bird's calling, and said, "That's a grackle." And sure enough, even though she couldn't see them, out back were three grackle eating and talking away. Made me so proud! :-)

No comments: